Griping about Twitter (Part 2)

Representing an organization is terrifying

It's such an exciting time to be a person or organization with something to say. For the last six years, non-profits especially have found themselves with an incredible and free tool with which to share their message. I know you knew this, but let's set the scene any way.

In 2003 I started as an Americorps VISTA placed in a children's literacy non-profit that collected and distributed free books.  I had spent the year or so previous enjoying the recession of the early 00's with an apparently useless MA and no clear idea of how to use my interest in language, ethnography or humanism in a purposeful and fulfilling way.

Vista  is a great program that I heartily recommend to anyone with a service spirit and a year to kill. On my very first day at work as a semi-grownup with day to afternoonish job I found myself face to face with one of the largest barriers to non-profit service from the last decade - lack off access to technology.  The office did not have an internet connection. It did have a mid-90s Mac.
Behold!

Let's remember it is 2003. Bush is read to start a war in Iraq even without a UN mandate. Enron has already collapsed and Britney Spears is while not yet imploded, has written a song "claiming" she "like" a "performer" being that the dancefloor is her "stage" in a manner similar to a circus.

No comments:

Post a Comment